Thursday, December 10, 2009

Making Healthy Roasted Garlic Chips

 
Posted by Picasa


About 2 months ago my blood pressure went haywire. It went as high up as 150/100 which was totally unacceptable to me. I've been watching my salt and oil intake hence the sudden rise in my blood pressure was unexpected too. One not to accept age as an excuse for every illness or ailments, and as someone who opts for taking alternative medicine or herbal options instead, I thought of taking garlic chips to aid in lowering my BP. The price of garlic chips in the market is absolutely prohibitive. I decided to try roasting garlic chips on my own.

My first foray was successful although the garlic chips were just too hot and spicy; there was this biting aftertaste. Just today, I finally finished my bottle of homemade garlic chips. I've actually been using the chips as crunchy topping for my green salads. By doing this, the rather strong aftertaste was diminished.

Since I'm running out of garlic chips already, I decided to try a new recipe which I will share with you. Obviously, I was successful, otherwise I will not be posting this here. I used a half kilo of garlic, peeled and sliced this thinly. I then soaked the garlic in 1 can of evaporated milk for an hour, hoping to remove the sharp biting taste. Since this was an experiment and a comparison of fried garlic chips to the healthier roasted garlic chips...I had to fry some and roast the rest.

Most of the recipes available are fried garlic chips. When recipes talk about roasted garlic, they are referring to a whole garlic,with its top chopped and roasted in the oven. This recipe I'm sharing with you through pictures is roasted garlic chips. I'm not sure if this is a first because the arranging on a baking dish maybe tedious for those who may not have that much patience for cooking.

If you want thinner garlic slices you can use a mandoline (a kitchen utensil with a blade for slicing and shredding uniformly) but the thin slices will be much better for frying. The slightly thicker ones will be better for this roasted garlic chip recipe.

By the way you can also munch on this crunchy healthy treat instead of salted calorie-filled chips. Enjoy eating this healthy garlic chips instead of chomping on fat-laden peanuts accompanied by the dreaded debilitating gout problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment